Sunday, August 18, 2013

Going with the Flow

Going with the Flow
Funny how what seems like a big loss at the time often turns out to be one of the best things that ever happened to you.
I'd felt bogged down for years in being the office manager for the restaurant I co-owned with my "life partner," but I'd been doing it for so long, and the money was pretty good, and I had to make my business work, and I didn't know what else I could do, so I trudged along. Then I had the business taken away from me and I freaked out because it was what I knew, what I had, what I'd worked so long at and what was successful financially.
Yes, it was a major trauma for me. But though it was done to hurt me, it turned out to be one of the best things that person had ever done for me - albeit unwittingly. It forced me to give up what was holding me back, and tampering my spirit. Losing the business meant becoming poor, meant being thrown into a sea of vast unknown, but it also meant being thrown into a sea of possibilities and opportunities.
I got work freelancing for a local paper. The money was not great but I was doing what I loved. Then another life trauma - having my tires slashed. This forced me out of journalism, which I enjoyed on many levels and could at least make a little money from, but this act, despite the hostile intent, got me to see that I need to do what I love best, what I never allowed myself to devote to full time - writing fiction and publishing my work. So, no, I don't appreciate those who've traumatized me, but yes, I do appreciate that endings bring new and often better beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment